Tuesday, February 15, 2011

336- Mickey Blue Eyes Review

Just don't.



Oh fine. I'll be a little more detailed. Let's just say I got distracted watching clips of Basic Instinct halfway through when I realized that was the same chick. Just with a better haircut. And with still horrible taste in men.

Of course you had the same actors who would go on to play in the Sopranos (which I never saw so perhaps if I was more familiar with them I would have enjoyed their earlier comedic roles more) and traditional dry British jokes croaked by a "aren't I adorably dim witted" Hugh Grant as he fumbles through the mafia ties of his hopefully soon to be fiance.

Of course, I never was fond of Hugh Grant but I thought the title had some promise if it was going to seek to turn English prat into possible mobster. They called it a comedy of errors- it was more one big giant error. The only good part was watching an FBI agent go from agent to gay flowershop owner to English best man, etc. etc.

Other than that it was a painful joke after joke of English embrassment, and did I really need to hear Grant try to speak mobster? Or watch Hugh Grant try and distract his girl by strip teasing awkardly in his office and rubbing his bum?

I would have turned away. Well, I would never have let it get that far. Nor would I have gotten that haircut so maybe I'm not the target audience of this particular piece.

So, as it's about to plummet off your Netflix queue, please don't fret. It's not really a big deal. You won't miss any performance, scenery, cinematography, or even costume design that would make you less of a person. In fact, unless a crime mobster decides to take the name Kansas City Little Big Mickey Blue Eyes and goes on a crime spree, you are completely fine with not even realizing this is a movie.

Or unless you're an English prat who wants to learn how NOT to become a mobster.

But really, just don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment