Monday, January 17, 2011

350- Yellow Luck

            
             Recently,  I found out about the South American tradition of wearing yellow underwear on New Years Eve for happiness. And being in a considerably but not utterly unhappy period of my life, I figured I should start trying to make it better instead of letting it get any worse.

                 So, today was the day I decided to see just what comes out of wearing said combination. With a bright smile and high hopes, I faced the day in my bright yellow undergarments.

(Don't worry, I had clothes on too.)


And ended the day realizing that my high hopes and positive attitude which I have been carrying around with  me like lucky charms the past couple of weeks had not been boosted by the yellow underwear.

Perhaps it was because it's not New Years Eve or perhaps I didn't get the right shade of yellow. Or maybe the luck of the yellow underwear is just for people who are going to get lucky with someone else wearing yellow underwear. 
      
  Or maybe it is the beyond the power of yellow to ease this transitional period of stops and starts of ends and rejection, uncertainty and fumbling steps in the dark. Of trying to become independent and stand on your own two feet... only to realize how unstable the ground underneath you really is.
      
      So instead of going out and buying colored underwear, perhaps I should just keep trying to stand up. Even if it means I'm going to be rejected, ignored, battered, scorned, mocked, dismissed, and put off by the various things that life throws at you. Because while I dust myself off and start trying all over again, maybe I'll have just the little bit more confidence knowing I'm rocking cute underwear.
And maybe that's the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment