Wednesday, June 15, 2011

265-Not a Change in Heart but a Change in Me

     What is one thing that never fails to make me smile?

       Well, yes- someone slipping on ice but no really-

 Beauty and the Beast came to Memphis last night and since I already had broken my Give a Damn- I went ahead and bought two tickets and informed my mother she was going with me.

     Now, my mother is a bit of a smart ass who didn't hesitate to inform me that when she first took me to see the Disney animated classic- I literally lost it when the Beast appeared for the first time.

 Screamed.

   And Screamed.

                           And just for good measure- kept screaming until she had to take me out of the theater.

   Apparently, I stopped when I realized I was about to be separated from the popcorn.

   Well, I don't remember it. But I can see it. Hell, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Arc climatic scene made me leap ten feet into the air and Ernest Scared Stupid isn't even up for discussion. But I don't remember being scarred by Beauty and the Beast.

    And as I watched all the little girls swarm around in Belle dresses, I may have been a brat and turned to my mother to regret my neglected childhood because I know I didn't get a Barbie jeep and I definitely didn't have a Belle dress. Sure I had the pink power ranger costume but still.

          She assures me that I did but I didn't want anything to do with bows, heels, or anything resembling a dress. I shudder to think of myself as a child- so we're going to go ahead and just end it before it gets much further. But as a brunette little girl who always, always, always had my nose in a book- I always got to play Belle at recess. 

 Now, I wouldn't go as far as the woman who put her daughter in a white sundress and then poured herself into what once must have been her prom dress but should be donated to a I <3 the 80's Museum for it's "What Were We Thinking..." section.

   So, after eating at Felicia Suzanne's, we headed over to the Orpheum Theatre for Opening Night. I was actually pretty excited about nabbing tickets because it was most definitely a sold out show- Karma Score 1.

 As we waited for the show to begin, I got to sit and talk with a bunch of little Beautys all dressed in yellow gowns of tulle and lace. My favorite was a little Beauty named Shawna who had mocha skin with big brown eyes and curly afro with a tiara stuck in it. She pulled on my dress as I waited in line for a drink and asked me if I was Belle "cause you look like a princess".

     But enough of me almost putting a child in my pocket and taking her home with me- as soon as I saw the stage- I was instantly at ease. I settled in- let the music swell and just went with it.

  Sure, I'm a bit of a Disney snob and maybe I was less than thrilled when I realized the costumer had taken the basic idea of the film but spun it in her own way....Okay, I get it- I even respect it- but come on- Belle has a long dress- not one that swirls around her knees when she spins....

I mean I want it but comeon.

   There was also the very distinct sex appeal being addressed. It's to be expected to see the Feather Duster's legs in all her glory but I didn't need to see straight up the tutu that passed as a skirt. Indeed, all the women were very attractive musical theater ingenues and the director and costumer put it to use. Be Our Guest had the ladies in basic full frontal cloth that showed a utensil but the back- the back revealed a bra top and a burlesque underwear with garter strap. Hardly necessary for a child's production.

I mean, I wanted it too. but comeon.


 And the Beast- well let's just say I wasn't impressed. He was little. And kept playing for laughs. I want my Beast tortured, misunderstood, and funny because he can't help but be himself. That's not asking for a lot, is it?

I chose to get my comedy from the wonderfully vapid Silly Girl Trio, a very physically comedic Le Fou, and of course Cogsworth and Lumiere. And I always liked the Feather Duster and Wardrobe so- more stage time for the ladies!

  I do have to confess that I didn't love the breaks from the movie....sure I understand why we can't have a giant battle in the foyer of the Mansion between the mob and the enchanted servants but damnit that's my favorite part.

Well, other than the library scene.

           When I was young, that's what love looked like to me. Keep your moonlit boating excursions and your magic carpet ride, Love was sitting in front of a fire place reading a book together and looking away from the story to steal glances at the person sharing the story with you. And snowball fights.

I'd take the Magic Carpet ride and Moonlight Boat too but that's still right up there. Sure curling up on the couch with a movie in one hand and a arm around you is wonderful, but try listening to a story being read out loud by a beloved voice. I promise you there's magic in the world- its found in the imagination and every once in a while, it escapes from the covers of a book and into your heart.

 So, yes, as Beast finds that he can indeed love- (despite the fact that they ruined the ballgown- it is not supposed to be a yellow frilly monstrosity- it is supposed to be a vision of golden splendor-what is wrong with these people??) and Belle goes to save her father- and Chip is a creepy little kid who gets carted around the entire time with a cup on his head and Gaston mugs for the audience and then its happy ending time. Where this twenty three year old reverted back to the eight year old who would die before admitting she wanted a fairy tale ending.

 And did I mention the Gaston scene was actually pretty good fun? I mean the clinking cups was a bit extreme but it wasn't as bad as the random Russian dance scene done by a Welcome Rug (I know- a pink Welcome rug- I almost died) during Be Our Guest.

 The light and sound guys were on their game. Between roars, knocks, echoes, and snarls, the sound was the only way the Beast actually got any real power onstage- well how much power can one get when wearing a truly bad wig with horns attached... but still. And the lights used candlelight, red rose illumination, and other beautiful ways to keep your attention off those ugly gargoyle costumes the guys had to wear to move the set and on the real point- the story.

...

    And while we're on that- the Set. I personally hate flying things in and out- except scrims- Scrims should be used as much as humanly possible- and believe me they were- otherwise there would be no way I wouldn't have broke out laughing at the wolf scene (dance my puppets- dance!) but I could have done without the library book motif.

   The roll on set included intricate metal stairways that were moved about to convey movement through the mansion as well as house fronts that also had interior so they could be swiveled- flipped- spun- okay I'm out of adjectives but it was fun and kept you in the moment as well as allowing the actors a chance to use their Hodgins (plant yourself through furniture!)

    Overall, I had to say it was fun. But I still wanted to go home and watch the movie - exhaustion of course won that battle- but I'm just saying. I guess I'm a creature of comfort and as much as I enjoyed the immensely talented cast and their version of the beloved classic-- I knew what I really wanted and it wasn't going to be found in the theatre that Tuesday night.

  I wanted the great wide somewhere and the dream that even you don't fit in right now, right here- there's a home waiting for you. You just have to realize it when you get there.

And my Beast to be huge monster with giant fangs and the inability to use spoons.

What- just me?

1 comment:

  1. oh wow, that belle dress is rather disappointing. it looks more yellow frilly cupcake a la gone with the wind than the golden layered dress belle should have been wearing...

    ReplyDelete