Sunday, June 5, 2011

277- 68!

So, if you've been paying attention, this blog is supposed to be a daily thing. Since I've been abysmal in that commitment, I'm currently 68 posts behind. 68! And I would love to put up a stirring writing piece to make up for that but I have not written anything lately. Too busy tanning and breaking up literal cat fights.




So, here's a quick-y brought to you by Wikipedia's Article of the Day and Random Article. True Muses of the day and age. 

Kevin Williamson stared blankly at the book in front of him.

1 million to 1 trillion to the same space (on the vertical axis) as the increase from 1 to 1 million.

   "Jesus," he sighed, thumping his head down onto the open book, the words blurring together and the mathematical equations turning into squiggles as his glasses pressed into the bridge of his nose. "Why the fuck does anyone need to know the base square root of a trillion?"

   Probably someone, the inner voice that sounded a lot like George reasoned wit him. He silenced it. He didn't really care to be rational at the moment and the fact that his inner voice sounded like his best friend was not a good sign. As his father would not hesistate to point out, he had been single for far too long.

 Picking his fair head back up from the abused textbook, Kevin blinked tiredly. His eyes slid from the text to the small black phone lying quietly beside it. The calculator had a longrithm function, didn't it? So, why would Professor Jenkins mind if he used it?

 Besides the fact that it was cheating, it could go off in class, or any other sane reason, piped the voice again.

 Definitely George. No one else had such a streak of logical rationalization.

 Bring.

 Kevin lifted his eyes from the squiggle that may have been a base square root or maybe a demented pen mark and saw an unknown number flashing across his phone.

Bring.

Not one to ignore an opportunity, Kevin snatched it up, "Hello?"

 "Hey!" Answered a bright, perky and undeniably female voice. "Is this Ted's Scuba Hut?"

"Uh, no, sorry," Kevin replied, his voice fading in disappointment. "You have the wrong number."

 "Sure," the voice laughed, and Kevin took a  minute to check the area code of the phone. It was not one he recognized and due to his school being a mixing pot of different cities from the state, he knew most state area codes by this point.  It was a long distance phone call.

    "No, I'm Kevin Williamson out in California- I think you may have mis-dialed the area code."

  "Oh,  well fuck," was the only answer from the other end and Kevin found himself smiling despite himself. He pushed his glasses up his nose as the voice continued, " Well, sorry about that. You said you were in California?"
 
 "Sure am," he confirmed. The book with logarithms lay forgotten before him as he swiveled his chair away to face the dorm window, sunlight pouring in reminding him it was a beautiful summer day for people who didn't have to take summer school. Like the two brunettes tanning outside...

   "Shit, I was trying to reach Hawaii. Google apparently doesn't know Los Angles from Honolulu," sighed the voice. "Oh well," Kevin switched his attention back to the caller and away from the co-eds lying half naked on the turf outside.


  "Actually, you've called Sacramento," he corrected.

"You're shitting me," the female swore, and Kevin wondered what kind of woman he was dealing with here. "Oh, well, at least it's still long distance. I'm over in France with my soon to be ex boyfriend who I just found passed out drunk with some random girl in our hotel bed."

 Kevin's eyes expanded behind his lens and coughed in discomfort. Was she really telling him-

 "So I took the bastard's phone and dialed a random number that according to Google was supposed to be some kind of gay scuba hut in Honolulu.Was going to sign up for scuba classes with his credit card- but what do you think, too cliche?"

 He honestly had no idea how that he came close to being cliche but a quick glance at the time of the phone call confirmed that she was definitely wracking up quite a phone bill. Her voice didn't seem to harbor any anger, in fact it was getting steadily perkier as the clock ticked on.

  "Oh, hell, it doesn't matter. I already added him to the mailing list of every single erectile dysfunction drug site that I could find and I still have to call his mother and tell her he's been lying about getting that promotion. Ass hat is still a mail clerk for the Verizon store, not the Regional Manager- oh well, mom's believe anything- How's your day going?"

"Uh-"

 "Oh I know, you probably think I'm a crazy person. I'll let you go- thanks for helping me."

"No problem," he answered, humor trickling into his voice. "Good luck screwing over the cheating bastard ass hat."

 An answering laugh echoed across the phone, "See I knew I liked you, good luck on whatever you were engaged in before I interupted."

"Just studying logathrims, actually," Kevin shared, unsure why.

"Oh god I hated those things. I just drew a squiggly line and used my calculator hidden under my jacket. Only way I got through my gen eds- shit, I just head the door close. I gotta go, still got to call his mom. See ya!"

And with that- the phone clicked off and Kevin stared in frank amusement at his now silent phone.He twisted back to the book, the voice that sounded awfully like George reminding him his final was in the morning. But a new voice that sounded remarkably like the girl on the phone was a little louder in reminding him it was only one hour from sunset when the quad would fall in shadow and the sun tanners would go inside.

Kevin found himself standing, pushing his glasses up over his brown eyes. He felt like a walk....

No comments:

Post a Comment