Tuesday, June 14, 2011

266- Walk About

Okay, so maybe it's 99 degrees outside in Memphis. Which roughly translates to the temperature on the surface of the sun in December. (I know, just go with it. And yea, I decided that since it was Pay What You Can at Dixon Galley and Gardens- that would be a pretty decent way of spending the day. As opposed to the private pool outside...You can't account for some people's tastes.

    And pretty much the only thing they had was a creepy bunch of paintings but a local artists which heavily featured Pinocchio being tortured and touring other things...and John Rogers collection of work.

  I absolutely loved his collection- based around plays, stories, and the civil war- Rogers showed a bit of Americana in its best even when it was at its worse. My favorite is this piece-> where the young woman is studying her lines while her companion applies some stage make up for their private theatrical performance.  The detail is beautiful- from the cat skin rug on the floor looking up in amusement, the props on the table to the flowers etched on the lady's skirts. I highly recommend you take a look at his work- think Norman Rockwell in statues. Without soda fountains.






Well, then it was off to the Gardens where I roamed the labyrinth and bemoaned my forgotten ear piece so I couldn't listen to music. I suppose that would have taken away from the overall beauty of the gardens in June but I had to amuse myself by quoting Shakespeare at myself.

















Lord what fools these mortals be.

Well, I laughed.
To sleep, perchance to dream...
Love looks not with the eyes but the mind











I was ridiculously proud of myself for knowing my mythology enough to call this before I read its title..




Such Stuff as Dreams are Made on
Journeys end in lover's meetings


Be Not Afraid of Greatness

A Little Narnia For You Believers

No comments:

Post a Comment